Friday, January 14, 2011

Hui Guo Ruo.. Success

Sounds like gobbled gook right? Haha this was my first excursion with the chinese language for about a 2 years? Well since I went to Nanjing with my first boyfriend. Which wasn’t very successful, not because my Chinese was so hopeless though… Just the shop was busy =.=;; I still remember what I had to say si lian, 4 portions lol!
Anyway last night me and my boyfriend were feeling quite peckish and didn’t want to cook. So he sent me out to the local Chinese take away, literally across the road. I knew what he wanted but neither of us could remember what the dish was called.  It consisted of Pork belly and chilli sauce. In fact I had ordered it by accident when I was ordering for my family.

So before venturing out my boyfriend trained me to say Hui Guo Rou… So off i went and explained to the Chinese man at the counter that I wanted something that I only knew how to say in Chinese. I think he must of thought I was mental @.@ so I had a try and said it and he understood ! Mission accomplished! He praised me on my Chinese and had a laugh. Then kindly told me the English name “Re-fried Pork”  (回鍋肉 Hui Guo Rou)
Update:
It suddenly occured to me looking back at this post that I should of given a recipe for how to make Hui Guo Ruo

Recipe:
Serves 4 as part of multi-course meal

1 pound pork belly or unsmoked bacon (if using sliced bacon skip first step)
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon fermented black beans
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili bean sauce
2 teaspoons sweet chili paste
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons peanut oil
2 leeks, white parts thinly sliced

1. Place pork belly in a medium pot of salted water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, skimming the water as necessary, until pork is fully cooked through, about 45 to 60 minutes. Drain and let cool. When cool enough to handle, pat dry and slice into 1/4-cm thick pieces.

2. In a small bowl, mix together black beans, rice wine, soy sauce, chili bean sauce, sweet chili paste, and sesame oil. 

3. In a wok, heat peanut oil until just beginning to smoke. Working in small batches, cook until golden brown on each side. Transfer pork to a separate plate and continue with the next batch. (Drain oil/pork fat after each batch, leaving just 1 tablespoon in the wok.)

4. Stir-fry ginger until just fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add sauce. Add leeks and stir-fry until cooked through, about 1 minute. Return pork to the wok and stir to coat with sauce and cooked leeks. Transfer to plate and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment