Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Burglary...

As much as I hate to admit it, My former classmate, still has a habit of coming in and out of my life more often than not as he pleases, whether it is to annoy me, to joke with me, insist on playing with me, comfort me, etc. Even though he is quite annoying I still feel that he is rather misunderstood by most people Irish people and Chinese. 

Irish people don’t get him because he is outspoken and sometimes his frankness comes across as rudeness. Once I went shopping with him for a new suit and he tried one on. Now most sensible Irish people who try on something in front of a sales assistant would never insult the clothes. They usually make some polite excuse like oh I will think about it and come back later. But on the contrary my former classmate just came straight out with the insults, the texture is to fluffy, the lining is too thin, the shape is not very good, and the insults kept coming… I felt embarrassed just sitting there listening. I’m surprised this manner is accepted in China, but it definitely isn’t the norm in Ireland not by a long shot. He was totally unaware that he was being rude, as far as he was concerned the shop is just there to serve him and he can say what he likes to who he likes. After we left the shop I gently told him he was too rude in the shop and Irish people never carry on like that. He seemed totally alarmed so I just let it be.
As far as his dealing with Chinese and Irish students people don’t take him seriously. You never know if he is joking, lying or telling the truth. I think I was the only person in the class who was able to get his humor. As I got to know him on a more personal level than most people. I was often able to ask him why he did what he did and so on… You just have to take him with a pinch of salt.
I hadn’t talked to him for the whole summer and then one day in November for the first time in 4 months I picked up the phone to him and he told me he had bought a house and a Mercedes! I was thinking I will believe it when I see it. But evidently sure enough I did get to see the house and the Mercedes.

Which leads to the burglary! Yesterday as I was heading into the city centre I got a call from him to say, His car has been stolen and his front door smashed! And he wants to me to meet him tommorrow probably not going to happen…..

Regardless of his behavior he didn’t deserve this…

1 comment: